Friday, August 8, 2008

Wyoming or Bust!

Tomorrow we head out to the great state of Wyoming. The Equality State, where men are men, and women are as tough as men. I’ve lived in the East for almost 10 years, but no matter how long I am out here, my heart will always be in the west. There is something about the western way of life. The crisp air, the mountains…ahhh, the mountains (and they are REAL mountains, not those hills out here that they call mountains), the traffic (because there isn’t any), and of course the wonderful people!

I don’t think I truly appreciated all Wyoming has to offer until I left. When I was a kid I loved visiting the big city and getting out to see new and exciting places. Now, as an adult and mom, I completely understand why people move there. I don’t want to sound ungrateful. I love the east. If I didn’t I wouldn’t have stayed out here for so long. And the truth is we don’t have any plans to move back out west anytime soon. But there is just something about the west, and Wyoming in particular. It you’ve never been out there I strongly suggest you go.

We leave tomorrow for a weekend in my hometown of Casper, then head out to Jackson Hole for the week. In Jackson we will meet up our friends Casey and Christy and their daughter Ginny, and later in the week we will be joined by Joe’s mom and a couple of her friends. This will be Ella’s first time to Wyoming (I have to remember to pack her Wyoming onesie, and yes, she will be getting a cowboy hat) and Joe’s first time to Jackson Hole, so I’m excited to show them the sights. The agenda includes a rodeo (Joe has no idea what he’s in for), Old Faithful and much much more. I think my dad is even bringing some good Wyoming wild game for dinner one night. Both Casey and Joe got their first deer this year, so I know they will appreciate the wild game. It will be a lot of fun and we are really looking forward to the trip.

I am not, however, looking forward to flying with Ella. We’ve flow with her before, but not on a very tiny prop plane, which is what we’ll be on for about half the trip. Hopefully she’ll just sleep the entire way. That would be wonderful! And I’ll bring lots of books and toys to keep her occupied. I would appreciate your prayers for us while we’re traveling.

I doubt I’ll have the opportunity to post while we’re there, so this may be it for awhile. I’ll be sure and give a detailed account of our trip when we return.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie,

You are a brave woman to fly that far with a 1 year old! :-) I'm sure everything will be great. Connor has always traveled well. Books, snacks & a few new toys always help! I hope everything goes good. Tell your mom and dad hi for me. Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

good luck! you're a courageous mom. i hope you post many photos. have a great time.

melanie

Dee said...

There's no place like Home!

So blessed to read how you cherish your home. My Mom went Home in 2006; my beloved brother in 2007. The Home Place I have known for 50+ years now belongs to someone else. I will never be able to go to my earthly home again. So I mightily look forward to my Heavenly Home; being with my loved ones forever.
Eye has not see;
Nor ear heard
Neither can the Heart understand
All the things God has prepared
For those who love Him.
1 Corinthians 2:9

I will be praying that your trip is blessed from The Treasures of Jesus' Heart.

I have flown on a prop plane to Canada. Never felt so close to God. I was so scared I didn't open my eyes; never stopped praying for one second. I am praying yours doesn't make as much noise as the one I was on for Ella's sake.

All of you are highly blessed;
divinely favored.