Monday, September 12, 2011

First day of school!

Today Ella started Pre-K…K, as in Kindergarten…Pre-Kindergarten…the last year before she starts the “big kid school.” Where has the time gone?

In case you don’t remember what happened last year, I was a complete mess. I cried the second we dropped her off, all the way to the parking lot and all the way home. I’m a crier…it’s my spiritual gift, and when it comes to Ella there are many times I just can’t hold back the tears.

This year things are going much smoother. For starters, I know several of the kids and parents in Ella’s class. Last year we didn’t know anyone. This year I know at least 5 kids, and I know that Savannah, Ella’s friend from preschool last year, is in her class, so at least she has a friend with her. Ella also knows what to expect from preschool. She knows that it helps her learn things (she loves learning new things) and that she gets to go to chapel and science and even music class.

All that said, there were no tears shed…from anyone. We talked to Ella and told her that I would be close by, and she took Mrs. Bull’s hand and walked right into the classroom. She didn’t even look back to wave goodbye. She’s such a big girl! Of course, as soon as I dropped Joe off at the train station I went back to the church and peeked in Ella’s class to make sure she was ok (which she was). Then I stayed near the church until noon when Metti arrived, just in case they needed me for anything.

Preschool got out at 2:00 and I was there to greet Ella’s sweet face right at the door! I told her in the morning that if she was a good girl and listened to Mrs. Bull and didn’t cry, then after school we would go to Target and she could pick out any DVD she wanted. She kept her end of the deal, so I did too. She’s now downstairs watching her new “Princess Stories” DVD.

I can’t believe how big Ella is getting. She’s so grown up! She told me all about her day including who the line leader was, who the caboose was, and who was the circle time helper. It’s so hard to let her go, but Joe and I both know that this is the best thing for her. Yes, I took pictures and I'll post them later tonight. She looked adorable with her new outfit, new hot pink glitter shoes (yes, she picked them out all by herself) and her big hot pink bow!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hi Katie: Thanks for the update on Ella's first day at school. I just knew she would be fine. She really is becoming quite an independent young lady. You guys did an awesome job, you should feel very proud.
Please give her a gentle hug for me. Love and Peace Leah's Nana