Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Tis the Season for school to end

Finals are over…let the partying begin! Joe had his last final on Monday. Now I get to adjust to having him home at night, and Ella gets to adjust to not having his nose in a book all day. It’s nice.

Ok, so I need some advice. Ella is almost 6 months old and is still not sleeping through the night. We don’t know what to do. Usually she will sleep for 4 hours (sometimes 5 or 6 on a good night) then after that she wakes up every 2 hours. We think she might get all worked up from her bandage changes then has a hard time settling down, but even when we don’t change her boo boos at night she still won’t sleep through the night. And we thought that maybe she was hungry and once she started eating solids it would help. Not so much. And most of the time she won’t even eat when she wakes up. She just keeps the bottle in her mouth for a couple seconds until she falls back asleep, or we just pick her up and bounce her and she goes right back to sleep. The Dr. recommended moving her into her own room (we are paranoid parents so Ella was still sleeping in our room until about 3 weeks ago), so we did that and it hasn’t helped. We can’t do the typical suggestion of giving her a bath at night to calm her down. So we don’t really know what to do. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

So God has answered another major prayer! I’ve shared before how working in DC hasn’t been easy on us as a family, and Joe and I have worked to make the adjustment. Even my office has bent over backward to accommodate me, but it just wasn’t working. Well, I have gotten a new job right here in Alexandria. My new office is exactly 1.1 miles from our house (I turn left then turn right). I will be working as a lobbyist for the American Diabetes Association and I am SO EXCITED!!! I will be getting 2 hours a day back just by not having to commute into DC. I will still do a lot of my work from the hill, but hopefully I can avoid rush hour traffic (no more sitting on 395 for an hour just to go 9 miles). I officially start at the beginning of the year, and my last day with Senator Barrasso is December 17. I am taking 2 weeks for Christmas vacation. God has really answered a huge prayer request with this job. He is so good!

So I’m wrapping up my last week here with Senator Barrasso. I can’t believe that it has been almost 5 years. It has been such a pleasure working for both Senator Thomas and Senator Barrasso, and I loved having the opportunity to represent Wyoming here in the US Senate. I will miss my office and all of the Wyoming connections, but “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven” (Ecclesiastes 3:1). Thus, it is time to move on to the next adventure.

Lastly, we have new December 2007 photos and videos on the right-hand side.

Blessings to you all this Christmas season!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Congrats on the job, Katie! And for finishing finals, Joe! I sure do know what a relief that is! The end is now in sight.

About the sleeping -- have you tried the Ferber method? Google it. It's hard but it REALLY worked for Eli.

Take care!
Emily

jenny said...

Congrats all around, Katie and Joe! I definitely remember the days right after finals. I had gotten so used to Jed being gone, studying, that afterwards, it felt like a whole new person moved in the house with me.

We used the Ferber method too, although I didn't know that was what it was called. It worked great for us, but it was very hard. You can google it to find info, but here's one good site: http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-ferber-method-demystified_7755.bc

Best wishes and ya'll have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Katie, Joe, and Joella,
Congratulations on your new job! You will find life less stressful without the commute. Joella looks cute and stubborn! That's a trait that must be working for her..have no worries when it comes to that girl! Guys, relax. She will get the sleeping through the night thing now that your life has settled a bit. Don't forget she feeds off your emotions and stress. It will work it's self out before you know it. By the way, don't expect her to ever get out of your room completely. Nothin' better than a snuggly kid in your bed!
Love,
Joanne

Anonymous said...

yeah for finishing another semester!!!