Monday, September 24, 2007

Normal Everyday life with a Three month old

Another great weekend

My weekends are completely different than they used to be. Before Ella came along, Joe would spend his Saturday s either in the law library, or up in his man’s room reading. I would do the same thing every Saturday…wash the sheets, clean the kitchen, clean the bathroom, vacuum, and always have a load of laundry going. Now I am lucky if I get clean sheets on the bed. The bathroom is a disaster, I wash the dishes before I leave for work in the morning, and I don’t remember the last time I vacuumed (I’m embarrassed to say). This weekend I did get a lot done. I changed the sheets on our bed and Ella’s, I picked up the pile of clothes that had accumulated in our room, and I did several loads of laundry. I feel like we can at least walk around the house without stepping over a bunch of junk.

On Sunday we went out to lunch with a family from Maryland. They have a daughter with EB. It was great talking to them about their daughter and the family’s journey. Kristen is 6 years old and by looking at her you wouldn’t know that she has EB. Both she and her sister (EB free) are beautiful girls! Kristen showed me her hands and elbows where they get scratched up, but for the most part she looked like every other 6 year old. It was so comforting for us. The truth is we just don’t know what to expect. Time will tell how this decides to manifest itself in Ella. But it is comforting seeing a little girl living with EB and it doesn’t slow her down. She said that the main thing she does is stand in the back of the line at school so that other kids don’t step on her heels when she walks.

On another note, I’m having trouble figuring out how to calculate baby age. It all goes back to being pregnant. When people refer to pregnancy they always say that you’re pregnant for 9 months. Well, when you get pregnant you learn that its not really 9 months, its 40 weeks. But if there are 4 weeks in a month then you’re really pregnant for 10 months. So Ella was born on June 21, which makes her 13 weeks old. Going with the 4 weeks in one month theory, then she’d be 3 months and 1 week. But the 21st of September was last Friday, so that would really make her 3 months old right? So do I tell people she’s 3 months and 1 week, or just 3 months? I’m confused.

Ella officially outgrew her bassinet. It’s packed up and ready to be put back in the attic. Now she sleeps in her Pack N Plat at the end of our bed. I’m just not ready for her to sleep in her own room yet. Joe is downloading two new videos right now, so they should be viewale shortly in the "Ella Playtime Videos" soon.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Katie,
I remember being stressed when Grace was born that I would never even have time to water the plants - almost 7 years later, I really don't ( : I have one alive and two that are 1/2 there and many others that didn't make it!! I have tried so hard to remember that the most important job we mothers can have is to kiss and love on our babies as much as we can. Before you know it, they are off to school leaving you with a broken heart! Ella is absolutely beautiful. Grace and I check constantly and still pray for her every night!!! Grace has the most precious prayers for her and loves her more than you can imagine. We look forward to meeting her one day. We love you and are so proud of everything you are! Jenny (Ooten) Roddy