Thursday, August 16, 2007

Still in the Learning Curve

Today started off with Ella waking up at 7:00 am to eat, right on schedule. Unfortunately, as Joe was trying to feed her she kept wincing and screaming. Joe looked in her mouth and saw the biggest blood blister right on the tip of her tongue. Poor Ella was hungry, but she was in too much pain to eat. We tried everything from using a medicine dropper to using a little cup to just squirting the milk in her mouth. We used this special oral rinse that is supposed to numb her mouth, and we just held her and rocked. After 3 hours we knew 2 things: 1) Our beautiful daughter was in a lot of pain, and 2) there was nothing we could do about it! That is the most helpless feeling I think either of us have ever had. We pondered all of our options and decided that we needed to pop the blister. Luckily we have all of this medical gear around, so we put a needle on the end of a syringe. Eventually Ella got so tuckered out from crying that she eventually drifted into sleep. During that time we gently pried her mouth open and I punctured the blister. I know what is going through your head, and that was exactly what was going through mine (even now I wonder what we were thinking). All we know is that it worked and the blister drained. She woke up and tried to eat again, but she was still in pain. We squirted enough milk in her mouth that her tummy at least got satisfied and she fell asleep once again. During her hour nap we prayed that God would heal her tongue enough for her to at least be able to eat. She woke up and now was the test…we put the bottle in her mouth and PTL (Praise the Lord) she was able to eat! She ate very cautiously, almost as though she knew that if she was too harsh there would be a lot of pain, but she ate and that is what matters. It was a rough morning, but thankfully that is over. This did cause Joe and me to wonder how things will be when I go back to work and he’s at home alone. Most of the time it takes 2 of us just to get things done.

Gi Gi went back to Wyoming yesterday morning. We miss her already! Luckily Grammy Janet comes into town next week. We are so lucky to have Grandparents that are able and willing to come help.

Friday night is a very important “first” for Ella. She will be attending her first baseball game…Mets vs. Nationals. The big dilemma we have is if she will wear her Mets outfit or her Nationals outfit. I want the Nationals outfit because its pink, but I have a feeling Joe will win and she will wear the Mets. My personal dilemma is that I LOVE the nachos with jalapeƱo’s on them, but I’m afraid the peppers will give Ella indigestion. I guess I can make this sacrifice for my precious daughter.

Before I sign off, let me quickly remind all of you that today is the Anniversary of Elvis’ death. 30 years ago the King went on to a better place. In honor of Him I am playing my Elvis CD’s for Ella, just hoping some of it will sink in. Luckily she has an Elvis diaper bag to remind her of this great (and cute) man. You Ain’t Nothin’ but a Hound Dog!

5 comments:

Jinx said...

Joe and Katie...thanks for continuing to post news of Ella and the joys and challenges of parenting her. I have been following along and keeping you in my prayers. God never stops surprising us with trials and always the resources to handle them. Ella is beautiful and sweet and more than blessed to have so many loving people in her life...Jinx

Anonymous said...

I just love your sense of humor-- You are too funny! Just wanted you to know that I continue to pray for all of you each day, and I'm so thankful for your testimony. You constantly remind me that God is in control. Have fun at the game!
Amanda Wilson

Becky said...

Maybe Ella will feel better if you show her a picture of me! I bet missing me doesn't help her pain of her blister! I look at her pictures an average of 42 times a day while I'm gone!! And I'm praying that she'll be blister-free in her mouth! I miss the Murrays!

Anonymous said...

I know you are mourning Elvis today...Please be careful at the Nats game today watch for flying bats. Last Tuesday night my son, James, got hit in the face with the bat and now is nursing a broken nose and bone in his face. Mike figured out the odds of this happening are .004.
Hope to see you soon!
Joanne

Unknown said...

Why am I not suprised you have an Elvis diaper bag? ;)
-Erin McLaughlin