Monday, June 15, 2009

Kind of random post

I have a few little stories that I wanted to pass along, but none of them really go together, so there isn’t any cohesiveness to this blog post. Next time I’ll do better.

Just yesterday I was reading my weekly “what your kid is doing now” email and it talked about how Ella is probably at the age where she’ll start playing with her food more and will “experiment” by mixing things together. The example they gave was that a kid may pour their orange juice in with their cereal just to see what it tastes like. Huh, interesting, but Ella isn’t one to mix her food. If I give her mixed veggies she picks out the corn first, then the peas, then the carrots, etc. So I was sure this was a phase she’d probably skip. Well, last night Ella came up with a great idea…pour her water into her beans. Yummy! At least it was only water and not something much more disgusting. And at least she ate the beans with the water.

Ella is really starting to try to help out with her bandage changes. Tuesday night I was prepping everything for Ella’s bandage change. I had everything cut and taken care of, and Ella was happily playing next to me. I left the room for about 5 minutes to get some things for the bandage change, and when I returned I found Ella standing at the bandage table with cream all over her face, chest and hands. She looked at me and said, “Good Girl!” Ella is really starting to want to help with her bandages. She knows the basics of how it all works. She gets the wooden tongue depressors and sticks them in the lotion or ointment, and then gets a Mepilex Transfer and starts trying to spread the ointment the same way she sees mommy do. Then she’ll try to stick it on her tummy. And she takes the gauze and tries to wrap it around her tummy. Soon she’ll be able to do it all on her own.

Ella has also recently started humming. She’s always been a singer…since she could form words she has been singing along to her music. But just recently she has started humming along whenever there’s instrumental music. I love that she is discovering that she can make different sounds by changing her mouth. I think she picked this up from Paw Paw when he was here a few weeks ago. Anyone who knows my dad knows that wherever he goes he’s either whistling or humming (with the occasional “da da” stuck in there). I’m a whistler...if I’m walking anywhere I’m usually whistling whatever song is stuck in my head. It now seems that Ella is a hummer. I like it.

In other Murray news, we got a bird feeder for our backyard. Joe and I are so excited about it and were really upset that the birds didn’t instantly flock to our feeder. We sat at the window and watched for birds for about 2 hours. Our neighbor assured us that it would take a couple of days for them to show up. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. We also had a great carpenter come over and lay plywood in our attic and hang our basement screen door (and fix a couple other odds and ends around the house). This meant that we were finally able to move all the junk stored in the guest room closet and in the laundry room up to the attic! The laundry room is so clean now and I can actually iron...although I’m not a fan of ironing so it doesn’t really matter.

Saturday morning Joe had class all day. He rarely has class on Saturday, but he’s taking a summer clinic where they learn to actually work in a law firm. Basically, the school has a law firm and the students handle the cases. So this weekend they had a special class where they learned how to write a Will and things like that. He had to be at school at 8:30 am on Saturday. I’m not really sure what happened, but all of a sudden Joe woke up and looked at the clock (next to my side of the bed) which read 8:35am! I know you all have been in that position before. Complete panic set in! Joe jumped up and ran to the shower. Raced through the shower as quickly as possible, threw on some clothes, and ran to his office to grab his blackberry and school stuff and race out the door. He grabbed his blackberry to call his partner for the clinic and just tell him that he was on his way. As he did he noticed the time…6:30am. What? So he turned on the computer…yep, 6:30. So he came in and asked me what my cell phone said…6:30. My alarm clock is a consistent 15 minutes fast…that’s on purpose because I’m always late…but it is not usually 2 hours and 15 minutes fast. So what was my first response when he told me the news, “Good, that means you can change clothes into something that actually matches.” Then we had a good laugh about it. I went back to bed but Joe stayed up and guess what…he was the first one to arrive for class.

I have a lot of pictures to download, so I’ll try to get to those tonight. We are very excited because this weekend we are going on vacation to celebrate Ella’s birthday and Father’s Day. We’re spending 4 days and 3 nights at Jellystone Park in Natural Bridge, VA. We rented a little cabin out there and I am so excited to get out of town for a few days. It’s going to be fun!

And no, I’m not even thinking about the fact that in just 6 days my sweet little girl will be 2 years old!

No comments: