Friday, January 23, 2009

Katie or Joe Murray’s Wife?

When I worked for Senator Thomas (CT) I used to accompany him to receptions on a fairly regular basis. At these receptions he would always get a name tag and write his name on it, “Craig.” And I would always think the same thing, ‘You are not just Craig, you are Senator Thomas.’ In fact, at the reception honoring his reelection he wore a name tag that said Craig and I asked him about it. He just smiled. Also, whenever he would introduce himself to someone, no matter who it was, he would shake their hand and say, “I’m Craig.” And again I would think, ‘No, you’re Senator Thomas.’ And very rarely, but sometimes, someone would come up and start talking to him, not having a clue that he wasn’t just Craig, he was actually Senator Thomas.

Fast forward to last night, Joe and I attended the Commonwealth Republican Women’s Club. Most of the time Joe and I were standing together, so I was either introduced as Joe’s wife, or the person could put two and two together and figure out that we were married. However, there was one point in the night when Ella and I were off doing our own thing, and Joe was in another part of the house talking with someone. A very nice woman came up to me and introduced herself, so I shook her hand and said “Hi, I’m Katie.” We started talking and through the course of conversation she asked if I was new to the group. I then explained that my husband, Joe, had been invited to come and meet the group, so I came with him. She then looked at me and said, “Oh, you’re Joe Murray’s wife!” I immediately had flash backs to working for CT and thought, ‘Oh no, do I need to start introducing myself as Joe Murray’s wife? Or maybe I should at least say that I’m Katie Murray.’

In the car on the way home I told Joe the story (which of course he loved) and we started talking about how I should introduce myself. We decided that it’s ok for me to keep introducing myself as just Katie. After all, I’m the same Katie I was on December 16, when Joe decided to run for office, and I’m planning on being the same Katie after the absentee ballots are all calculated and the race is officially over. And hopefully, I’ll still be the same Katie the next time Joe runs for office (because he will run again…just wait and see).

This is similar to the time right after college when I decided that I was going to start going by Kathryn because it was more professional. I introduced myself as Kathryn and even had it put on my business cards. It lasted about 2 weeks and one day I woke up and decided that I’m just not a Kathryn, I’m Katie. I don’t have a problem with the name Kathryn (I’ve actually always liked my name because I feel like it gives me name options…Katie, Kate, Kat, Kit, Kathy, etc.), but at the end of the day I just didn’t FEEL like a Kathryn…I felt (and still do) like a Katie. So Katie I will remain.

2 comments:

Jennifer Hawthorne said...

Great story Katie. I'm glad you didn't go with Kathryn either even though I, too, like the name. You are always gonna be Katie to a lot of people.
Can't wait to hear Joe's results.
Jen

FinsUp said...

Gee. I just think of you as "Ella's mom"!