Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Ugh!


At 4 years old I thought we had pretty much been through it all…except those lovely teenage years, of course.  Alas, I was wrong.  This week we experienced yet another “first” in the life of Ella.  Her first stomach flu.

I know what you’re thinking…how is it that a little girl who attends preschool is just now having her first bout of stomach flu?  That’s a great question and the answer is, I have no idea.  She either has an immune system of steel, or is just really good at avoiding illnesses.  Either way, I am so thankful that she hasn’t had to go down that road.

All of that, however, ended this week.  The stomach flu has been going around the preschool and as much as I hoped we would avoid it, I knew in my gut that it was just a matter of time.  Sunday we went to church and Ella seemed a bit lethargic.  After lunch we came home and she slept for almost 3 hours.  I just chalked it up to lack of sleep (which happens a lot on the weekends).  After her nap and a snack, she seemed back to normal.

Sunday night I heard her wake up to get a drink of water several times throughout the night, but I didn’t hear anything overly concerning.  Then Monday morning she woke up almost an hour earlier than usual.  When I went in to check on her and ask if she wanted her standard morning chocolate milk, she said no.  So I asked if she just wanted breakfast instead, and again, she said no.  That’s when it happened…my sweet girl got sick.

After things calmed down I moved her into the bathroom where I stripped her down.  She looked at me with her precious face and said, “Mommy, I think you better call church school and tell them I won’t be able to come today.”  Then she asked for doggie…poor, puke-covered doggie.

Ella spent the entire day laying on the couch and watching TV.  She slept A LOT!  I spent the day cleaning, sanitizing the house, and doing laundry (thank heavens for the “sanitize” setting on our washer).  She did manage to keep down a few bites of chicken noodle soup, but that was it.  The saddest part of the day was that Ella had to miss her preschool graduation pictures with her class.  This upset both Ella and me.

All that said, I’m crossing my fingers that today is better.  As of right now she’s still sleeping, so I’m hoping she sleeps the stomach flu away and wakes up bright eyed and bushy tailed.  I’m also praying that Joe and I aren’t next on the list.

No comments: