Monday, May 17, 2010

Fun Times in Sunday School

Yesterday was my day to go to Sunday School with Ella. We’ve been trying to take her each week and one of us goes with her while the other goes to church. We used to just take her to the service with us, but now she’s just too talkative (what? My daughter?). Besides, the Sunday School rooms are the same rooms as the preschool rooms, so I thought it would be good to get her accustomed to the area. Each week we take her to the classroom and each week we spend the first 15-20 minutes holding her while she stresses about the other kids, teachers and all around people she doesn’t know. After the initial clinginess she’s fine, but when you’re only there for an hour, 15-20 minutes is a large chunk. But this week things were different.

Ella and I walked into the classroom and I put her down, and she was fine. Not one tear was shed. Not one “Mommy hold me.” Nothing! She just walked right over to where the other kids were playing with the play kitchen and play food and started playing. She was completely fine! I don’t know if it was because out of the entire class, including teachers, there was just one little boy…I don’t know if it’s because the teachers this week somehow seemed friendlier than the other teachers…I don’t know if she’s just warming up to it…I don’t know if she just decided that today she would be fine…I just don’t know. All I know is that it was a good day. And Ella even let this girl, Kylie (she’s a teenager and has be-friended Ella) dress her up as a Bumble Bee. How cute is this?

Later she decided that she wanted to be a firefighter.

After the service the church was having their annual picnic…if you can call eating catered BBQ in the Faith Activities Center a picnic. We decided not to get tickets because we were convinced that Ella would freak out with all the moon bounces (yes, there were multiple ones) and all the kids running around. Oh little did we know that Ella was going to be in an especially social mood that day and rather than be scared of the games, she didn’t want to leave them. She stood at the entrance of the moon bounce and just watched all the kids (there was no way she was going in there). And when we went to leave she was less than happy about it.

Luckily we were going home to meet Aunt Jenny and Cousin Megan and her friend Amy. Megan and Amy have a school project that they are doing on the new health reform law and they asked Joe to be their expert interview. So, they drove all the way down from NJ to video him. They brought yummy NJ subs (oh so good) and we had a great time catching up. Ella put on a full show for them, complete with motions to “Wheels on the Bus” and several other songs in her repertoire. We even brought them into DC to get their picture next to the Capitol. By that time Ella was completely worn out and fell asleep in the car on the way. It was great seeing them, even if it was just for a few hours.

I liked having a more social definitely made things easier. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that next Sunday is the same way.


Mr Lonely said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. Hopefully she will stay that way. She is so beautiful! Sending my love and prayers like always!


Linda said...

The picture of Ella as a bee is priceless. Gotta love it when they get less clingy. Hoping that continues for you guys. Always in my prayers. Take care. love Leah's Nana